Louis Krüger is as a contemporary artist, freelance videographer, graphic designer and photographer. His academic qualifications include: MA degree in Fine Arts (cum laude) obtained at the University of the Free State (UFS) in 2016, BA degree in Fine Arts in 2012 at the same institute (where he passed his final year with a distinction and received the 2012 Best Senior Student in New Media Award), and a diploma in Graphic Design and Photography at the Planet Pixl School of Advertising in 2008. Krüger has qualified for the Absa L’atelier Art Competition in 2012, 2013 and 2014. In 2012, he was chosen as the winner of the Fractal Young Artist Exhibition held at the Oliewenhuis Art Museum. In 2013, a video artwork of his was added to the collection of the War Museum of the Boer Republics. In 2016 he went on a mission to broaden his worldview by working as an art sales associate aboard cruise ships and visited 17 countries on three different continents. Besides Krüger’s career in art, design and video production, he is currently acting as project coordinator for VROST (Vrystaat Open Studio Tour) – launched in 2017 as a new addition to the Vrystaat Arts Festival.
• MA(FA), 2016 (Cum laude). Specialising in video art and digital photomontages. University of the Free State, Bloemfontein.
• Certificate of participation, 2013, Professional Practice in the Visual Arts Art Source and Artspace Gallery.
• BA(FA), 2012. Specialising in video art, photography and digital drawings. University of the Free State, Bloemfontein.
• Diploma, 2008. Graphic design, photography. Planet Pixl School of Advertising, Bloemfontein.
• 2017 Africa Artbox Awards Top 5 Finalist
• 2017 Phatshoane Henney New Breed Art Competition Merit Award Winner
• 2014 Absa L’atelier Art Competition Nominee
• 2013 Absa L’atelier Art Competition Nominee
• 2012 Best Senior Student in New Media, University of the Free State
• 2012 Fractal Young Artist Exhibition Winner
• 2012 Absa L’atelier Art Competition Nominee
• 2011 Redbull Doodle Art Top 35
• 2008 Best Student in Drawing, Planet Pixl School of Advertising
• 2007 Best First Year Student, Planet Pixl School of Advertising
• 2017 Africa Artbox Awards, Spanish Embassy, Dakar, Senegal (juried)
• 2017 Phatshoane Henney New Breed Art Competition, Oliewenhuis Art Museum (juried, catalogue)
• 2016 Die plek van die visioen, MA(FA) solo exhibition, Johannes Stegmann Art Gallery (catalogue)
• 2015 Fop, Smithfield Fringe Festival
• 2014 Absa L’atelier top 100, Absa Gallery (juried, catalogue)
• 2014 Department of Fine Arts and Affiliated Artists, University of the Free State (catalogue)
• 2013 Bodhi, Gallery on Leviseur (catalogue)
• 2013 Absa L’atelier top 100, Absa Gallery (juried, catalogue)
• 2013 Department of Fine Arts and Affiliated Artists, University of the Free State (catalogue)
• 2013 Gateway: Final Year Student Exhibition of the Department of Fine Arts, Johannes Stegmann Art Gallery (catalogue)
• 2012 Penumbra: Fractal Young Artist Exhibition, Oliewenhuis Art Museum (juried)
• 2012 Absa L’atelier top 100, Absa Gallery (juried, catalogue)
• War Museum of the Boer Republic, Bloemfontein
• Present (2013 - ). Boyden Observatory, 20km outside Bloemfontein (assisting the long term, part time project of transforming the main building into a museum at the observatory).
• 2014. Department of Fine Arts and Affiliated Artists, EBW foyer, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein.
• 2018, 2017. VROST – Vrystaat Open Studio Tour : A project that entails a tour through art studios located throughout the Bloemfontein region, held on 16 July 2017. It is an initiative of the Vrystaat Arts Festival. 13 Artists participated at 6 different studios. Packages were available to the public that ranged from a bus tour, a tour on your own and a workshop.
• 2016. Woordvlug, Laurens Van Der Post Museum, Philippolis, (video, music and poetry collaboration with Elzette Boucher).
• 2015. Woordvlug, Langenhoven Park Garden Concert, Bloemfontein, (video and music collaboration with Mari-Louise du Plessis).
• Corneli van den Berg, “Spel van kleur, tekstuur verbeeld visioenêre ervaring,” Volksblad, February 25, 2016, 10.
• Maricelle Botha, “Gee jou verbeelding teuels in visioenêre landskappe,” Bloemfontein Courant, February 11, 2016, 9.
Publications as author
• Kunsmeesterskollektief: Louis Krüger, “Spel tussen lig en donker – uitstalling transformeer galery,” Volksblad, June 6, 2013, 10.
• Kunsmeesterskollektief: Louis Krüger, Corneli van den Berg, “Uitstalling oor Suid-Afrika se fisieke en politieke landskap, insiggewend,” Volksblad, May 28, 2013.
• 2015 – present. Member of Woordvlug – interdisciplinary projects involving live art, music and poetry performances.
• 2013 – 2015. Member of the Fractal Contemporary Arts Forum – ad hoc committee of the Friends of Oliewenhuis Art Museum.
• 2013. Member of the Kunsmeesterskollektief Committee – art reviews affiliated to the Department History of Art and Visual Culture Studies, University of the Free State.
I, Louis Lodewyk Krüger, hereby pledge that the information in my Artist Curriculum Vitae is the truth.
© 2018 Louis Krüger Creates • Website designed by Louis Krüger Creates